The Office of the Vice President for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Iowa State University (ISU) is seeking candidates for the position of University Innovation Alliance Fellow (UIA Fellow). The UIA Fellow will be directed by Iowa State’s liaison, the Vice President, and will engage in critical work that supports high-yield projects that are both impactful to Iowa State’s student success efforts and critical to the scaling mission of the Alliance. The UIA Fellow will work closely with ISU leadership and UIA member institutions in identifying new solutions, scaling proven innovations, and communicating and diffusing outcomes that enhance educational attainment and the economic prospects of all students regardless of their socioeconomic background. The Fellow will contribute to a broad scope of duties and projects in a collaborative, fast-paced, and challenging environment, and provide training in cutting edge transferable skills, such as Process Mapping and Design Thinking, and pressing issues in higher education. The Fellow will have unique networking opportunities with some of the most innovative public institutions nationwide to help Iowa State close the gaps in retention and graduation rates for underrepresented populations and increase retention and graduation rates for all students. The ideal candidate will work well under conditions of ambiguity and be a self-starter to expand projects and integrate into a new culture.
Specific duties include:
- Contribute to the University’s Student Success Council priorities by supporting various project teams in their student success initiatives.
- Brief Iowa State University administration as requested on status of UIA projects underway, as well as develop any pertinent documents and reports in advance for their review.
- Provide campus presentations and/or updates on Iowa State’s participation in UIA projects and UIA scaled project outcomes as requested by UIA liaison, senior administration, and/or interested campus partners.
- Co-coordinate campus-wide data symposiums/convening(s) with Division of Student Affairs Assessment and Research, Office of Institutional Research, and other partners to augment institutional awareness of progress toward specified student success goals.
- Engage in policy research, assessment, memo and/or program proposal writing.
- Develop and execute special projects assigned by the UIA liaison or University President, i.e., ISU UIA communication plan, UIA fellow on-boarding materials, data summit, engagement plan for faculty, Chatbot management, and process mapping training.
- Attend all UIA fellow retreats, liaisons retreats, site visits and/or other recurrent Alliance meetings.
- Serve, at the discretion of the UIA liaison, as the official UIA representative on several standing and ad hoc campus-wide committees and advisory boards including, but not limited to, Iowa State’s UIA Steering Committee, Student Success Council (SSC), Educational Advisory Board Student Success Collaborative (EAB SSC) leadership team, Cyclone Completion Grant project team, and the Committee on New Student Onboarding.
- Identify opportunities to engage, increase awareness of, and integrate faculty, advisers, and other academic personnel into UIA and/or general student success projects and initiatives, at the discretion of UIA liaison.
- Complete training in customary UIA problem-solving techniques (i.e., Process mapping or Design Thinking) and use tenets of these tools to support student success efforts on campus.
- Ascertain practices, projects and/or policies at other UIA-member institutions that demonstrate promise and potential for amenability at ISU based on student success goals.
- Manage the continued maintenance and implementation of ISU’s Chatbot.
- Manage and update all content on the ISU UIA website.
- Update Iowa State’s UIA Communications Plan annually; ensure its effective execution.
- Support the UIA central office on projects, presentations, liaising to non-UIA institutions and other requests.
Anticipated salary range: Up to $70,000
Application deadline: October 30, 2022
How to Apply
All applications should be submitted online directly to ISU. To apply, please visit the ISU Jobs Website. Information below provides details on the exact posting at ISU.
- Posting Title: University Innovation Alliance (UIA) Fellow
- Job Number: R10050
- Direct link to the ISU posting: https://isu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.
com/IowaStateJobs/job/Ames-IA/ University-Innovation- Alliance--UIA--Fellow_R10050
- Master's degree in higher education administration, student affairs, educational leadership or a related field.
Ability to work in a collaborative, fast-paced, and challenging environment.
Experience with knowledge in trends and issue related to predictive analytics, proactive advising, strategic financial interventions, university-directed student success, and/or college to career efforts.
Demonstrates an unwavering passion and commitment to transforming public higher education to better serve low-income, first generation, and historically underrepresented students.
Work experience in a higher education environment.
Demonstrated project management skills.
Demonstrated presentation and public speaking abilities in large and small group settings.
Required Application Materials
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Application/Cover Letter
Please submit your application materials online directly through the ISU Jobs portal. All materials can be addressed to the attention of Dr. Sharon Perry Fantini, Vice President for Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion.