Weekly Wisdom 2/15/21
Bridget Burns, Executive Director of the University Innovation Alliance, and Paul Fain, Contributing Editor for Inside Higher Ed, speak with Dr. F. King Alexander, President of Oregon State University. As a distinguished 20-year veteran of higher education leadership positions, President Alexander has long championed inclusive, affordable schools, and he shares his clear-eyed wisdom about why public universities are more necessary than ever, why college education is becoming prohibitively expensive for so many Americans, and what we can do about it. Topics include:
- The critical role of public universities in the U.S.
- What kind of support to expect from the federal government as we recover from COVID-19
- How state governments have abdicated their role in supporting higher ed
- The value in partnering with the private sector
- Positive trends emerging from the pandemic