Bridget Burns, CEO of the University Innovation Alliance, and Doug Lederman, Editor and Co-Founder of Inside Higher Ed, speak with Dr. Lisa Vollendorf, President of SUNY Empire State, on the Weekly Wisdom Podcast. President Vollendorf talks about what has shaped her as a leader, reversing higher ed’s tendency toward elitism, how leaders and institutions can grow through traumatic events, and the value of being present and making the best possible impact. Topics include:
- How educational status is a proven marker for longevity in the U.S.
- The problem with students losing credits when transferring between institutions
- Surviving both a regional wildfire and the stress of pursuing a harassment case
- Identifying and following your north star
- Two books supporting effective leadership