One of the wonderful aspects of this time of year is the chance to take a break, reflect, and spend time thinking about the year ahead. For me, this time is special because of the space it affords me to review what I’ve learned in the past year, declutter anything I don’t need to move forward with, and identify the kinds of growth, experiences, and goals I want to plan for in the year ahead.
I know I’m not alone in resetting and refreshing at the turn of each new year. Great advice can be found everywhere. Years ago, Michael Crow, one of the UIA’s inaugural founders, recommended the books FIVE, Seven, and TEN to help identify new targets and life goals and structure each week to make progress toward them. Countless others have raved about Designing Your Life, which was adapted from a course at Stanford.
Entire sections of the internet are devoted to the practice of vision boards, goal setting, and human optimization. The Desire Map method is unique in that it turns your attention to identifying how you want to feel at various points in your day and year, then guiding you to plan for those feelings rather than for goals, which can sometimes feel hollow. Desire mapping nudges you to identify your five “core desired feelings'' and target ways to optimize them. My five are contribution, vitality, connection, growth, and joy. What are yours? And how are you resetting and reflecting over the holiday break?
We all know how important it is to have our batteries fully charged for the work we do. When you come back to work, I hope you are renewed and have soaked up the lessons and learning of the past year. If you need some prompting, here are a couple tools to help you reframe how you think about your work and strategize for the year ahead:
- Our institutional habit planner from the University Innovation Lab
- Running a Network: Use Connecting to Change the World
Don’t worry about getting to them right away – these and all the resources the UIA offers will be waiting for you when you return in the new year. I hope you enjoy your break in the most rejuvenating way possible.
Happy holidays from the UIA!
Innovate with Us
Looking for professional development tools to help you kick-start innovation on your campus? Join the waitlist for the University Innovation Lab, our hub for curated downloadable resources, recorded trainings, courses, and subscriber-only events featuring UIA members and staff. Sign up now! Questions? Email us here. We’d love to hear from you!
We are thrilled to announce that the University of Utah joined our network this month! With Utah on board, the Alliance now comprises 15 institutions total. Last month, UIA Central had a chance to visit our newest UIA colleagues in person at their Student Success Summit to learn more about how they’re supporting academic success for over 26,000 undergraduate students. Huge shout out to our inaugural Utah campus team- Chase Hagood (UIA Liaison), Laura Snow (UIA Liaison), and Lindsey Coco (UIA Fellow) who all warmly welcomed us to campus.
Learn with Us
- Three Playbooks for Student Success
- Weekly Wisdom interview with Univ of Utah President Taylor Randall
- Weekly Wisdom interview with UIC Interim Chancellor Javier Reyes
As our team prepares to head into the new year, we’ll be using these exercises and tools to celebrate the past year and plan ahead for 2023:
- Danielle LaPorte’s book on how to create heart-centered goals using a desire map.
- David Allen’s approach to “Getting Things Done” through cultivating the art of stress-free organizational productivity.
- Alex Elle’s self-care writing prompts and meditation guides on recentering through mindfulness and cultivating courage and resilience.
- Shunta Grant’s Best Today Guide, designed to help women plan and live their lives with intentionality and proactive routines.
- Ink+Volt’s “Looking Back at 2022” worksheet to reflect on all of this year’s small wins and biggest lessons learned.
- January 18 - 20, 2023: AAC&U Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA (Deadline to register early: November 21, 2022)
- January 19 - 21, 2023: NASPA Mental Health Conference, Kansas City, MO (Deadline to register early: November 1, 2022)
- March 6 - 9, 2023: SXSW EDU Conference & Festival, Austin, TX (Deadline to register early: January 5, 2023)
- March 9 - 11, 2023: AAC&U Conference on Diversity, Equity, and Student Success, Henderson, NV (Deadline to submit proposals: November 7, 2022)
- April 1 - 5, 2023: NASPA Annual Conference, Boston, MA (Deadline to register early: December 16, 2022)
- April 13 - 15, 2023: ACE Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C. (Deadline to submit proposals: October 30, 2022)
- April 17 - 19, 2023: ASU + GSV Summit, San Diego, CA (Deadline to register early: April 16, 2023)
- May 10 - 12, 2023: National Student Parent Support Symposium, Columbus, OH
- June 25 - 27, 2023: NASPA Conference on Student Success in Higher Education, Kansas City, MO (Deadline to register early: April 28, 2023)
Wishing you and yours much joy in the new year!
When universities collaborate, students win.